4 Day 3 Night Chiang Mai Itinerary – Culture, Heritage and Present Day19 May, 2016
Chiang Mai, Thailand is rich with culture and heritage. If you are looking to experience both the traditional culture as well as present-day Chiang Mai during your travels, this is the itinerary for you! This detailed 4 Day 3 Night itinerary will help to guide your exploration of this beautiful city, make sure you don’t miss out on anything!
- Arrival at Chiang Mai International Airport after a 3 hour flight from Singapore
- Check in at Empress Hotel Chiang Mai
- Once you have cleared the customs and collected your luggage at the airport, head over to the arranged pick up point by Empress Hotel Chiang Mai (Airport transfers are free).
- Room rates start from 1,900 baht (S$74) per night for the Superior Room, which can house 2 residents. Suites and deluxe rooms are also available. Prices are subject to change according to travel periods.
- Empress Hotel Chiang Mai is easily accessible by car or taxi as it is near the airport.
- Visit Chiang Mai Gate Market after checking into the hotel – you can take a taxi there, it will cost you about 65 Baht (approximately 10 minutes or less)
- Chiang Mai Gate Market is open 24/7 and offers a wide array of local street snacks. These include mango smoothies, beef noodle soup and of course, mango sticky rice.
- [Lunch] You can also munch on other more filling street snacks such as rotee (stuffed crepes) along the way for lunch
- Visit Wat Suan Dok, accessible via taxi at about 75 Baht (approximately 15 minutes)
- The 14th century temple of Wat Suan Dok is located just West of the old city walls on Suthep Road. The temple was built by King Keu Na of Lanna for a revered priest visiting from Sukhothai as a place for the monk to spend the rains retreat. The name of the temple roughly translates to “field of flowers.”
- Head over to the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Centre – taxi ride will cost around 106 Baht (approximately 20 minutes)
- [Dinner] Khantoke dinner – a traditional Thai dinner where you are seated on place mats and served traditional delicacies such as Hin-lay Curry and Crispy Fried Pork Skin. This is truly a treat for both your eyes and your taste buds so be prepared to be dazzled by Thai cultural performances throughout your meal at 500-600 Baht/pax.
- Do note that prior reservations should be made and be sure to indicate your preferences if you wish to opt for specific table arrangements or if you would like to make transport arrangements at 100 Baht/pax.
Empress Hotel Chiang Mai
Address: 199/42 Chang Klan Road, Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand
Telephone: +66 53 253 199
Chiang Mai Gate Market
Address: Bumrung Buri Rd, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Opening Hours: Opens daily 24/7
Wat Suan Dok
Address: 139 Suthep Rd, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Telephone: +66 53 278 304
Opening Hours: Daily 6.00 AM – 10.00 PM
Old Chiang Mai Cultural Centre
Address: Hai Ya Rd, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Telephone: +66 53 274 094
- Pick up from Empress Hotel Chiang Mai
- Reach Siam Water Adventures for a 10 km white water rafting and 2 hours of elephant experience. Cost is at 2900 Baht/pax
- Things to bring:
– Dry change of clothes
– Good walking shoes or trainers
– Sweatshirt or jumper (if Nov – Jan)
– Strap on sandals for the raft
– Extra money
- What the package includes:
– Well-trained rafting guides
– Safety equipment
– Healthy Thai buffet meals & refreshments for lunch
– Hotel pick up & drop off
– Accident insurance
– Optional photo CD
- Please note that the minimum age for the water adventure is 12 years old.
- Things to bring:
- Drop off at hotel
- [Dinner] Chez Marco – French restaurant that has gained a good reputation for their delicious food amidst the unique backdrop of Chiang Mai. Accessible by taxi at around 81 Baht (approximately 10 minutes)
- The Mushroom Casollette and Duck Confit are highly recommended
- Damage is about 430-700 Baht/pax
Siam Water Adventures
Address: 17, Ratvithi Rd, Mueang Chiang Mai District, 50200, Thailand
Telephone: +66 89 515 1917
Address: 15/7 Loi Kroh Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Telephone: +66 53 207 032
Opening Hours: Mon – Sat 12.00 PM – 2.00 PM, 5.30 PM – 12.00 AM
- Explore your artistic side at Bo Sang Handicraft Center, you can travel to Bo Sang Handicraft Center by taxi, it will cost you around 232 Baht (approximately 30 minutes)
- Bo Sang, which translates to umbrella, bears reference to the famous Sa paper umbrellas that you can try your hand at painting at Bo Sang Handicraft Center.
- The artists there can also paint beautiful designs on anything you wish, for example a butterfly print on your canvas bag or your favourite pair of jeans (remember to bring it along with you). Prices are negotiable with the each artist.
- Shop at Central Airport Plaza Chiang Mai, taxi ride there will cost around 245 Baht (approximately 20 minutes)
- Complete with international brands and excellent souvenirs, Central Airport Plaza is a good stop-off point to get your last-minute souvenirs including items like silk, clothing, teak trinkets and traditional toys.
- Tops Supermarket is one of the many reasons why visitors make it a point to stop by this shopping mall.
- You can go to the 1st or 2nd floor for affordable manicure or hair services; kids are also guaranteed a wonderful time here with the cinema and children-friendly restaurants.
- The best part is that there is a daily shuttle service that ferries passengers to several hotels including the Empress Hotel. Do ask your concierge for more detailed information regarding the shuttle service’s operating hours.
Bo Sang Handicraft center
Address: 9 kilometres from the Old City, on Chiang Mai-San Kampaeng Highway (Route 1006)
Telephone: +66 (0)53 248 604
Central Airport Plaza Chiang Mai
Address: 12 Mahidol Road, Haiya, Muang District, Chiangmai 50100 Thailand
Telephone: +66 (0) 53 999 199
Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 10.30 AM – 9.00 PM; Sat – Sun & Holidays 10.00 AM – 9:30 PM
- Depart from Chiang Mai International Airport for Singapore – the taxi ride from the hotel to Chiang Mai International Airport costs around 125 Baht (approximately 10 minutes).
Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock