How to Win a Singapore Cosplay Competition the Easy Way?29 August, 2009
Singapore Toy Games & Comic Convention (STGCC) CosCon
The STGCC was held at the Suntec Convention Centre for 3 days (14-16 August 09). One of the interesting segment of STGCC is the Cosplay Competition held by MovieMania during the weekend at 3.30pm.
There were 2 different cosplay themes for Saturday and Sunday.
- Saturday – MOVIE theme: entries from Western pop-culture (e.g. characters from Superman, Star Trek and Star Wars characters, Harry Potter, Lara Croft of Tomb Raider etc.)
- Sunday – ANIME theme: entries from Japanese pop-culture (e.g. Naruto, Cloud of Final Fantasy, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, Pokemon, Death Note, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis Evangelion etc.)
We visited the Movie theme CosCon on Saturday – participants range from scary Jason from horror slasher movie – Jason the 13th, Predator, Alice in Wonderland and even Pac-Man!
Finalists from the STGCC CosCon (Movie Theme). The judges will shortlist 10 from these 20 and the winner will solely be decided by audience votes.
Guess who won?
Not the sexy babes or the complex costumes of Predator and some bounty hunter from Star Wars. Surprisingly the winner is….
PAC-MAN! Despite the contestant calling himself the Pac-Man, technically he is actually the Red Ghost – Blinky from the Pac-Man game. Pac-Man is the yellow round good guy eating dots 🙂
I am a bit confused about why Pac-Man (Red Ghost) won so I came up with some theories on how to win the STGCC CosCon 🙂
- Choose an easily identifiable character – everyone knows characters from Pac-Man! Since Red Ghost won this year, you can try any of the other colored Ghost (see picture above).
- Avoid scary characters e.g. Jason (while the costume looks authentic but scares away young voters) 🙂
- Drape a Blue/Pink/Cyan/Orange cloth (depending on which Pac-man Ghost you want to be) over yourself and stick 2 Round Eye-Like Shape on the cloth.
- Get into fights with Star Wars gun-toting characters and eat up your competition (see picture below)
- Be the good guy – Pac-Man (picture courtesy of WTFCostumes.com) or better, take part in the group category with one or two Ghosts 🙂
Besides the CosCon, there are also other cosplayers (hobbyists and official mascots of MovieMania) roaming the premises. They are very friendly and always game to pose for your photos.
Look what i found – Arch-Rivals from Gotham City: Batman and The Joker (luckily they are not at the same place at the same time or else I would have been caught in the middle of a fight :-))
A mix of movie and anime-themed characters (not quite sure what the red and blue guy is cosplaying as – drop me a comment if you know). It gets pretty hot under the stormtrooper costume – a behind the scene look at the robotic sound is produced via the usage of microphones and speakers.
There were also a number of pretty lady cosplayers too. I wouldnt mind ghost-busting with the cute ghostbuster girl here :-). Bet you haven’t thought that Bumblebee from Transformers has a sexy female counterpart!