Restaurace Pod Draci Skalou
Considering that this Karlstejn Castle is such a big tourist attraction, we expected that food here would not cost any cheaper than in Prague. However, thanks to the recommendation of our Karlstejn Castle tour guide, we found this interesting restaurant located just downhill of the Karlstejn Castle.
We had fried fish fillets with potato pancakes (the round brown pieces you see in the picture below). This restaurant also serves wild game meat such as venison.
The restaurant decor is Gothic-style with different types of antiques hanging around e.g. irons, guns, knifes as well as their hunting trophies – stuffed animals.
We rate Restaurace Pod Draci Skalou
- Food (Good Fish Fillets, dessert not as good as Vienna’s Sacher Torte): 3/5
- Ambiance (quiet and welcoming): 3.5/5
- Service (helpful and friendly – explained the Czech menu to us clearly): 4/5
- Location (an easy downhill walk from Karlstejn Castle): 3.5/5
- Value (affordable for such huge servings): 3.5/5
I will not be including a map to this place as it is not very helpful (map of the Karlstejn areas generally show sparse spaces with some main roads – since most of the places are covered by vegetation). Instead just follow these specific instructions to find this cheap and unique restaurant –
- Once you come out from the main gate of Karlstejn Castle, turn left and follow the trail downhill.
- You will reach a main road at the foot of this hill. Turn right and look for dragon heads or the words “Pod Draci Skalou” (about 3-min walk)
There is a pre-meal ritual that we always carry out – the photo-taking of our food. The photographers will arrange the food in various positions with different backdrops e.g. menu, salt and pepper shaker to obtain the perfect shot, often at the expense of hungry friends