Best Fish and Chips in London: Rock and Sole Plaice16 September, 2009
London Rock and Sole Plaice
According to the owners of Rock and Sole Plaice, this Endell Street eatery is the 3rd Fish & Chip shop to open in London since Fish & Chips was introduced in 1861 and serves the “Best Fish and Chips” in the area.
I didnt know that there are so many different types of Fish & Chips: Cod, Rock, Haddock, Plaice, Skate. Not quite sure what they means, we based our orders on Lonely Planet recommendations to try their Skate Fish and Chips.
The cost for a sit-down meal of Fish & Chips is at least £11. However if you order a takeaway Fish & Chips, it cost as little as £8. There is a clause in the menu that stated that they have right to charge a “store fee” on persons who occupied a seat but did not order any food, during peak hours – rather unfriendly rules but understandable since the outlet is quite small and popular.
We rate London Rock and Sole Plaice:
- Food (Fish Crispy and Batter Mix just nice – not too fat or soggy): 3.5/5
- Ambiance (Small busy outlet – quite noisy): 3/5
- Service (Fast but servers quite unfriendly): 2.5/5
- Location (about 10-minute walk from Covent Garden Tube): 3/5
- Value (quite expensive – £10+ for fish and chips): 3/5