Different Australia Visa Options for Different Reasons

1 July, 2011

PassportChop had received a few email enquiries from confused readers who were not sure on which visa to apply for their trip to Australia. Thus we had prepared this article which hopefully will help to clarify on the visas to apply for.

There are many different visa options for Australia, and which one you choose to apply for will depend on individual circumstances and requirements. A specialist visa agency will be able to advise on the right Australia visa and guide you through the relevant application process.

The following are brief explanations of the various visa types for Australia:

1. ETA Tourist Visa

The ETA tourist visa is required for even the shortest trip to Australia. This visa is suitable for short visits of fewer than three months that are for the purpose of sightseeing, visiting friends or family and other non-working activities.

A Singapore passport holder can apply for an ETA tourist visa online, and it is generally a straightforward process.

2. Long Stay Tourist Visa

Those who want to stay in Australia for a period of between three months and one year should apply for a Long Stay tourist visa. Holders of this visa are not allowed to work during their visit.

3. Short Stay Business Visa

A Short Stay business visa is suitable for one business trip of up to three months in length.

4. Long Validity Business Visa

The holder of a Long Validity business visa can make business trips of up to three months in length to Australia for as long as their passport is valid.

5. WHM Visa

The Working Holiday (WHM), visa is available to travellers between the ages of 18 and 30 who wish to work while holidaying in the country. This visa gives casual work rights and is often used by those looking to work to fund their travels. Although a WHM visa is valid for up to 24 months, the holder may not work for the same employer for more than a six month period.

6. GSM Programme Visa

The GSM (General Skilled Migration) program, visa is the one to apply for if you wish to make the move to Australia permanently. As an immigration visa, the application process can be lengthy, and those considering this route may find specialist help to be invaluable.

There are many requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to obtain a GSM programme visa and all applicants will be required to co-operate with a thorough medical and character assessment.

GSM program applicants have to pass a points test. Points are awarded based on skill, age, language, work experience, regional studies, partner’s skills, nomination and sponsorship. For example, some occupations may score higher than others.

There are different types of visa available under the GSM initiative and a specialist visa agency can help to determine which visa is most suited to your circumstances.

The visa process for Australia can be difficult to manoeuvre, whichever visa you require. However, the benefits and opportunities that Australia has to offer are great; for both travel and immigration.

If you’re going for a short trip, then you may find that your home insurance already offers a limited amount of travel cover. This is a huge convenience since it can save you time and money from having to arrange a full travel insurance policy. Check your policy documentation or with your broker before travelling.

Zhiqiang & Tingyi

Comments (3)

  • Rob @ Migration Angels AustraliaReply

    7 June, 2012 at 12:36 am

    The Government have also recently announced that under the new Enterprise Migration Agreeements, employers will be able to sponsor casual skilled workers to work for them whilst holding Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457). It’s basically to encourage skilled workers work in regional Australia.

    Here’s the link: Enterprise Migration Agreeements

  • ShawnReply

    10 November, 2012 at 9:49 am

    Hi Zhiqiang,

    it been quite sometime i never visit your blog. You been travelling all these years. Good for you. 🙂

    I wonder what about Malaysian? They need the same ETA tourist pass as Singaporean? Thanks.

    • Zhiqiang & TingyiReply

      15 November, 2012 at 10:37 am

      Yes the ETA is applicable for Malaysians staying less than 3 months in Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *