Exotic Turkey Trip Summary24 June, 2010
Another long trip – this time just to one country – Turkey for 14 days! Turkey is so big that different parts of the country has such diverse culture, architecture, food and so many different things to see, eat and do! Our trip took us to:
- Capital City, Istanbul – also the bridge between Europe and Asia – a very touristy city with the best places to shop and eat and many things to see e.g. mosque (there are a lot of them e.g. Blue Mosque, Red Mosque, New Mosque..)
- Mediterranean Coast City of Fethiye where you can take a relaxing slow cruise out into the many uninhabited islands
- Ancient City of Ephesus and Hierapolis where you can marvel at thousand-year ruins and Greek/Roman-style amphitheatre
- Amazingly White Salt Structure of Pamukkale where you can immerse in the rich minerals
- Cave City – Cappodocia; Take in the Amazing View of this Place with a Hot-air Balloon Ride
- Southeastern Cities of Gaziantep, Harran and Amazing Sunrise Views atop Mt. Nemrut
Turkey Trip Route Itinerary
Transportation around Turkey are all by overnight buses (for inter-city transfers) and day tours are typically on mini-van/bus. I will share more about our experiences with overnight buses – not an experience we want to attempt again after 3 of such buses; while the amenities are interesting (Wi-Fi onboard bus, reclining seats), the journey is just way too long.
For a quick peek of the various activities we took on during our trip to Turkey, check out this excel spreadsheet of our itinerary. You can also use this for your trip planning to Turkey or share it with your friends.
Just to share with you our obligatory traditional costume shot in every country, this time in Turkey – although not even sure this is even Turkish more like Persian. :-p I think I am supposed to be a Sultan here but the headgear sure feels very heavy – maybe that’s why it looked lopsided here.